While it’s true that train accidents are less common than car accidents, they still happen with alarming frequency. Over the past five years, Indian Railways has significantly improved its safety record, facilitating the passage of millions of Indians every year.
According to government data, there has been a noticeable decrease in the number of Train accidents involving in the nation during the past five years. In response to an unstarred question by BJP MP from Bihar Pradeep Kumar Singh, Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw notified the Lok Sabha that the number of “consequential railway accidents” had decreased from 104 in 2016-17 to 22 in 2020-21.
According to one reply sent in response to an RTI inquiry submitted by this reporter, the safety directorate of the Railway Board, “negligence of railway workers” was to blame for over 57% of “major train accidents”.
Here is the List of Major Train Accidents in India in the last 10 years:
the Hampi Express mishap On May 22, 2012, a cargo train and the Hubli-Bangalore Hampi Express collided close to Andhra Pradesh. There were roughly 25 fatalities and about 43 injuries as a result of the train’s four bogies derailing and one of them catching fire.
May 26, 2014:
In the Sant Kabir Nagar area of Uttar Pradesh, the Gorakhdham Express, which was headed towards Gorakhpur, collided with a halted goods train in close proximity to Khalilabad station, resulting in 25 fatalities and more than 50 injuries.
Clash in Indore and Patna On November 20, 2016, the Indore-Patna Express 19321 derailed close to Pukhrayan in Kanpur, India, killing at least 150 passengers and injuring more than 150 more.
A train derailment on August 23, 2017, increased criticism of the Railways. 9 Train coaches of the Delhi-bound Kaifiyat Express derailed near Auraiya, Uttar Pradesh, causing at least 70 injuries.
A dumper was struck by the train, which was headed from Azamgarh to Delhi, at roughly 3 in the morning between the stations of Pata and Achalda, according to a North Central Railway representative.
Earlier in this month of August 2017, the Puri-Haridwar Utkal Express derailed on August 18, 2017, in Muzaffarnagar, killing 23 people and injuring nearly 60 others. The Minister of Railways, Suresh Prabhu, offered his resignation following two significant train accidents in a week.
Under the North East Frontier railway, there was reported to have been the worst train disaster in 2021-2022. On January 13, 2022, at least 12 coaches of the Bikaner-Guwahati Express derailed in the West Bengal region of Alipurduar, leaving 9 persons dead and 36 others injured. Later, “Equipment failure” was cited as the accident’s cause.
Connect with us on Facebook and Instagram for daily travel content and tips where we help travellers like you have the best travel experience.
- Know all about West Bengal’s Howrah- New Jalpaiguri Vande Bharat Express
- The Bilaspur-Nagpur Vande Bharat Express, Know Details
- Darjeeling Toy Train Providing Night Rides During Ghoom Festival, Know Dates, Route, Timings, Fares & Other De
- Fifth Vande Bharat Express to Run Chennai- Bengaluru- Mysuru route from Nov 10; Know Stations, Features & othe
- Vande Bharat Express To Run Between Chandigarh To Delhi From Oct 19; Know Timings, Fare, Stations & Other Deta
- IRCTC announces Bharat Gaurav Navratri Special Tourist Train to Katra; Know Fare, schedule & other details
- Most Scenic Train Journeys to Take in South India
- The Maharajas’ Express: Costliest Train of India
- Raksha Bandhan 2022 Special Trains List: Indian Railways To Run Special Trains To Clear Festival Rush
- Palace on Wheels Luxury Train Will Return On The Tracks By September
- Indian Railways Rules: Now You Can Travel On Another Person’s Ticket Too, Here Is How!
- Indian Railways Changed Rules Of Night Travel, Know Before You Travel